We understand that decisions about closing the school or sending children home early due to adverse weather conditions are always difficult to make. Please find below answers to our FAQs on what to do in the event of snowfall:-
What happens if snow falls overnight?
If snow occurs overnight, we will assess the situation by 7.30am and decide whether it is safe to open the school. Before making the decision I will consider:
- the number of school staff who are able to travel to school safely to ensure an appropriate pupil/staff ratio
- the conditions for families travelling on foot and by car as safety is paramount
- the conditions within school (heating, running water, flushing toilets)
- the ability to provide school lunches
- if conditions are likely to improve or worsen
- what external agencies (Police, local authority etc.) are advising across the region
How will I find out if the school is open?
In order to provide parents with up-to-date information we would ask that you check one of the following:
- Our website - www.merrow.surrey.sch.uk
- Please check your emails regularly for Parentmails from school
- Please listen to Eagle Radio (96.4 The Eagle) for details of any closures
- Please check Surrey County Council website for news of school closures on https://online.surreycc.gov.uk/education/schools.nsf/webschoolsbystatusall?openform
Please call the school on 01483 561501 if you are unable to use one of these resources.
I am sending my child to school but we are going to be late.
We recognise that journeys may take a little longer on ‘snow days’ however if your child is going to arrive after 9.25am please call the school on 01483 561501.
What happens if the weather deteriorates further?
If the weather conditions worsen, we may need to close the school early and we will notify you via email/text. Therefore please ensure that you check your messages regularly. If you do not have an email address, please check for updates on our website, or on the Surrey County Council website. Please ensure that the school office is notified of any changes to email or mobile telephone number.
Will the decision be the same for Bushy Hill Junior School?
No, not necessarily. Each school has to make an independent decision based on whether sufficient staff will be able to make it into school safely if the school is to open.
What should my child wear to school if the school is still open? (Information will be on the school website).
If the decision is made to keep school open on a snowy day, please ensure that your child comes to school appropriately dressed – i.e. polo shirt and school sweatshirt/cardigan with warm tracksuit bottoms/leggings with a pair of wellies or snow boots. The children will change into their plimsolls whilst inside school.
School closure is not something that we take lightly, we recognise that it can cause significant problems for parents and we will only close the school if absolutely necessary.